Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Strength, Beauty and Resilience...Life is in full bloom!

This morning I went outside to water my small container garden. I was pleasantly surprised that my rose bush was in bloom!

DSC01898 DSC01899

I am very fond of the plants in my garden.  But this rose-bush is particularly special to me.  Like all my other plants, it has a story.  It was bought as decoration for the family's barbecue in celebration of Tshara's graduation from Scarsdale High School in June.  It was a small pot with about 6 dwarf Canadian rose bushes in full bloom in a heavenly yellow hue.  The day it came, I took a long moment just admiring its beauty as the center piece on the dinning room table.  I had to touch it to make sure it was real. Then weeks later, I went outside to have a telephone conversation on the back deck and there it was - wilted and dry - and put outside to die.  My heart bled.  I really have a hard time watching living things die unnecessarily, so I gathered up the pot and did a thorough inspection.  There wasn't a drop of moisture in the soil and only a total of about 5 leaves were on the plants. That was enough for me to decide that at least one of the bushes could be saved.

DSC01867  DSC01876
I carried it to my garden and introduced it to the other healthy plants hoping that it would be inspired to stay alive.  I placed it amongst them and watered it religiously every morning.  I spoke words of encouragement to it daily and added fertilizer to its water.  Then slowly, but surely I started seeing baby leaves emerging on 2 of the stalks that were left.  I was overwhelmed!  Then to my dismay they fell off again.  I continued to shower them with love and I was pleasantly rewarded again with another set of foliage.  This time the growth was continuous and steady and it once again bestowed its beauty upon me this time with a brand new yellow flower.

I also discovered today that my okra and tomato plants are in bloom as well.  Life is in Bloom! I realized how much I revered these plants  for their simple knowledge of their purpose. They know that their sole purpose is to produce flowers and fruits for the world.  They do not ponder or worry about how the world uses their produce.  They just provide it.  No matter where or in whose garden they find themselves, as long as they are alive and healthy, we are sure to receive their gifts.

DSC01903  DSC01906

Like the rose bush, the forces of nature have come together time and time again to ensure that I stay alive and well.  Every day I experience intense feelings of gratitude and wonder that bring me to tears. Very frequently in the most inappropriate places like on buses, trains, taxis, standing in line at the pharmacy or at a doctors appointment I would just start crying.  Not out pain or sorrow, but a joy and peace so deep and powerful whenever I remember what I have overcome or when I recognize that my journey, as long and tiresome as it feels, it is only just beginning.  And I guess you can imagine that I have a difficult time trying to convince unsuspecting by-standers that I'm o.k., I'm just happy.

This Canadian rose-bush in my garden, as small and insignificant as it may seem to most, serves  as a source of inspiration for me...that it is possible to overcome dire circumstances and still fulfill your purpose in this life.  I look at the rose and I see its strength, beauty and resilience.

DSC01905

I became a permanent resident on June 19, 2013. Never in my wildest imaginations did I ever think that I would one day be  living in New York.  Ever.  Since then I have been haunted by the knowledge that  I am alive for a purpose.  But what exactly is it?  What am I here to give to the world?"

The truth is, we all have a purpose or something to give to the world. Have you figured out what your life's purpose is yet?


Zara ~xoxo~

No comments:

Post a Comment