Pages

Monday, October 28, 2013

ROOTS

When I was an undergrad, I had an assignment for an Anthropology course that asked me to contemplate and reflect deeply on the word "ROOT(S)"  and write my thoughts.  That was all to the assignment.  It was quite a stimulating exercise and I would like to ask you to take a few moments and do the same.   What comes to mind?

I immediately started paying keen attention to myself and those around me listening out for the way we make use of the word in everyday speech and music.  One evening as I sat down to dinner which happened to be a baked potato and some steamed carrots I became very aware that I was consuming the ROOT of a plant.   I mentally embarked on a vivid visualization of the germination process and the thoughts began to flow.

roots

ROOT(s) as a Support SystemMy mind went back to a grade one science experiment in which we placed a bean in a glass jar with moist toilet paper so that we could watch it grow.   That was the true beginning of my fascination with life.  I noticed then that that when a plant germinates, the root emerges first.  As I progressed through school I learnt further that it is also the most essential organ of the plant that attaches it to the earth and is responsible for the absorption of nutrients and water and for anchoring and supporting the plant; that roots come in many different varieties, shapes and sizes; there are even some that are edible! As I got older I started realizing how intrigued I was by nature and plants in particular.

?????????????????????????
edoe roots

Then I had a revelation.  We all love the beauty of plants with their lush green foliage and colorful and scented flora or vegetation but we hardly ever give credit to the role that the root plays in that beauty. I started to wonder how many people ever have a thought about how strong and healthy the roots of the plant must be before it can produce such beauty? The root is considered dirty and not the prettiest sight and we often times prefer to handle the other parts of the plant, even when the root is actually what we are going to eat to ensure our survival! I began to notice that in our active discrimination of the root of the plant we fail to realize that root shares similarities with the foundation of a house, it is the support system of the structure. And because it has the potential to grow and expand in depth and breath, the deeper and wider the root, the more grounded the plant and the more difficult it is to uproot.  If the branches or even the entire trunk of a plant is destroyed, as long as the root is safely intact, the plant grows and blooms again even more beautiful than before.  I reason that a plant is very difficult to completely destroy without first destroying its root.  It's no wonder then why most roots grow underground (especially the edible ones that directly sustains the life of our species), where they are protected from the forces of the elements.

300px-Bitter_Root_(NGM_XXXI_p504)

root and flower

ROOT(S) as an Origin or Starting Place
In my never ending search for truth and enlightenment, I ask my self regularly the popular yet greatly undervalued “Who am I?” question.  I have always found that for me, I am not able to do justice to or feel contented with my answers without an awareness or understanding of and appreciation for my past, my heritage, and my people. The "Who am I?" question always lead me to series of other mind boggling question such as  where did I come from?  That's easy. I know my parents.  But where did they come from? And their parents? Where did we originate as a human race? Where are our beginnings?

Family with tree roots

I have heard many stories and beliefs as it relates to this topic.  One school of thought suggests that we are the product of creation by a Superior Being who placed us in the Garden of Eden, while another claims that we evolved over many centuries from earlier life forms to what we are now.   Both theories leave many unanswered questions in inquisitive minds like mine.  Where then is the Garden of Eden in which the first “created” man was placed?  This question has caused much debate among scholars many of whom prefer to explain Eden as anywhere on the globe other than Africa.  Since the exact location of Eden cannot be conclusively determined through scientific research nor by evidence presented in the Holy Bible or any other religious texts for that matter, I prefer to approach that theory with caution.  As it regards Evolution, the earliest fossils that suggest the existence of human life as we know it on this planet were found on the continent of Africa.  More current scientific research on the issue of heredity and genes and there origins and distribution through out the planet suggests convincingly that there is more variation in genetic differences in East Africa than anywhere else in the world inferring that Africa more than likely housed the original pool of genetic material that is responsible for the evolution of mankind (Nature Journal, 2008). For me, the word Roots represents my beginnings and the beginning of the human race.  The word Roots is what attaches me emotionally to the place where my ancestors lived for a long time.  That place is Africa. (I got goosebumps as I typed this.)

Motherland

Below are some more common uses of the word I came up with in picture.  Can you think of anymore?

As a Cause of a problem, situation or phenomena.
The Root of all EvilGet to the root of the matter
Root words

The-Root-of-Evil

1-Timothy_6-10

love of money


root_of_all_evil
stop_triangulating_get_to_the_root_of_the_matter_postage-rdfb2642620f54faf8b854b7a1540620b_xjs8p_8byvr_324

wood armchair on white

root-words


 Used to express a desire to ‘get the rid of’ or to ‘destroy’ something or someone.  Root out the weeds from the garden so that they do not grow back
Root up the tree;  Salt in the root of the tree will kill it;I am so pissed right now that all I want to do is root her up!

if_roots_72

events-redswobblies-noxiousweed

Used statistically to explain a number in relation to another number which it produces when multiplied by itself once or a specific number of times. 
For instance, the square root and the Cube root.

square root


Used to show active support or to illustrate deep and firm adherence to a notion or idea such as when I say:
 I am rooting for you.My believes are deeply rooted.

the-best-girl-root-for-boston-kelly-green

 In reference to anything that makes me feel emotionally or psychologically closer to my African heritage such as my hair and my skin: 
No, you may not touch my roots (hair).
I refuse to chemically alter my roots to please anybody or to conform to Western cultural norms which consciously and subconsciously embraces the concept of black inferiority and white superiority.

african-roots

TheRoots-by-KeithEtter

african-roots (1)

Used in popular adages. 

marcus_garvey_a_people_without_the_knowledge_of_mousepad-r5cd186f025bd012fb44700ffb0cb9003_x74vi_8byvr_512

foundation_cartoon


As a Jamaican aphrodisiac drink made from boiling the roots of certain plants.  

recipe_ele

Can you think of anything else?  Leave me a comment, I would love to hear what the word "Roots" means to you.

In a follow-up post I will explore the word roots as it relates to heritage and culture and try to explain how my 'roots' keep me grounded as a new immigrant trying to navigate the American/NYC way of life.

Thanks for reading and sharing.

Nuff Love,
Zara Nuru



No comments:

Post a Comment